Grilled Cheese Invitational

This post is really late mostly because I forgot about it but I feel I need to tell people that it is not really worth your time or money. This was way back in April. I was really excited to go to the Grilled Cheese Invitational. I LOVE grilled cheese & mac n cheese. It was on the LA Center Studios Lot where I work so I would have free parking since you have to pay $12 to get into this thing and to park.

First, they have a grilled cheese competition where people can pay extra to enter their grilled cheese in the competition. I think this should have been the feature and you should be able to sample without paying extra. It's on the furthest part of the event and to sample 4 sandwiches as a judge you pay extra on top of the admission fee. Boo. Then, they have some food trucks all around where you have to pay extra just to get a sandwich from them. Most of them did not have any original or exceptional grilled cheeses. It was like $5-$8 a sandwich and nothing stood about about them. They only sandwich I thought was exceptional was The French Onion Soup Melt from the Mendocino Farms booth. They had smaller sandwiches (smart!) which were only $3. I highly enjoyed that.

French Onion Soup Melt - Smoked Gouda Fondue & Cave Aged Gruyere With Caramelized Onions On Panini Grilled Dolce Forno Pretzel Roll

Of coarse there were some free samples from different sponsors but all together this event is highly not worth it. I wish it was more about the competition of different amateur sandwiches and not the trucks just trying to take your money. Your entry fee should cover these samplings because there looked to be a lot of great sandwiches involved. It covers nothing. (I was told there would be free samplings. I never found them) I was really excited too so it was a let down. I think next year I will host my own Grilled Cheese Invitational.

Comments

  1. I totally agree. I went in 2010 and was not impressed. Seemed like such a good idea but instead was just long lines to pay more for grilled cheese....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts