Getty Center with the Family

Well, it's been a bit since my family came to visit me but I highly wanted to recommend a place to visit. When they were here we went to the Getty Center for a nice day of cultural interest. Living in Los Angeles for the past 5 years I have said on many occasions that I wanted to go to The Getty Center Museum. Still I have not been so I thought it would be a nice family outing everyone could enjoy. And it's free...except parking.

(photo:Roman Fuchs)

(photo:Vanderven)
The views were fantastic and the structural architecture of the place was unique. It was designed by architect Richard Meier, the campus includes a central garden designed by artist Robert Irwin. Along with the various buildings for the exhibits there is a separate building called the Getty Research Institute containing a research library with over 900,000 volumes and two million photographs of art and architecture. The current exhibits we saw that were of most interest to me were: Paris Life & Luxury, A Revolutionary Project: Cuba from Walker Evans to Now, Gods of Angkor: Bronzes from the National Museum of Cambodia.

(photo:Getty Center)
As I was walking through the Paris exhibit I couldn't help but think of the people who wore the clothes and played with those games. They are all long gone but there stuff remains and thousands of people are going to look at it. I wonder if any of my possessions will ever be on display... I don't anticipate that will happen.

(photo:Getty Center)
The Cuba photographs were amazing. I highly enjoyed this one the most. My grandparents were telling me about how it looked just like the photos when they were there and telling me little tidbits about their adventure there. I like hearing personal tales they help me remember and absorb things better.

(photo:Getty Center)
The Gods of Angkor exhibit is what originally drew us to the place. My grandparents are world travelers and have been to Cambodia. This exhibit is REALLY small. It is still highly interesting though. I like learning about other spiritual paths and how they change, grow or die out over time. Seeing all these artifacts makes me want to be an archeologist or anthropologist (well, maybe that one is also for my new found love of the show Bones.)

Awe... I want to travel to far away lands so bad. One day.

Warning: the following pictures I look like such a dufus but it was really bright out and instead of trying to open my eyes more I just smiled extra cheesy I guess.

My mom & me overlooking LA.

My grandparents and me overlooking the garden.

These are some trees made of re-barb and climbing flowers. My grandpa wants to recreate a slightly smaller version in Haiti.
It was great to have my family in my new home. I miss them so much everyday!

Comments

Popular Posts