My drafty windows... fixed!

This is a rather simplistic fix for drafty doors or windows. Since I live in an apartment and have no say on structural changes but still have to pay the heat bill I decided to take matters into my own hands. I made these window/door snakes. It was rather simple and I just filled them with cat litter (fresh of coarse.) Here is the result.

Here is a picture from someone who used better fabric than me. I wish I had used cuter fabric. Oh well, they serve their purpose.

Here's how I made mine:
1. Measure the width of what you want to cover (door, window, etc).
2. Cut fabric that is 9 1/4 inches wide by your first measurement. Cut two 3 1/4-inch circles from fabric.
3. Fold rectangular piece of fabric in half lengthwise, right sides facing together, and pin raw edges together. Sew along the length of the open side but somewhere in the middle of the tube, leave about a 4-inch gap in the stitching. Backstitch at both sides of the gap, as this will be the opening to turn right-side out later.
5. This part can get a little trick... patience. Pin circles into each end of the tube, with right sides facing in.
6. (I did not do this part I went straight to sewing. But it might help some people)Baste the circles into place with a needle and thread, and remove pins.
7. Machine-sew each circle end to the tube. Remove basting.
8. Turn tube right side out and fill with cat litter. (I first put a trash bag inside the tube cause I don't like the smell that cat litter gives off.)
9. Stitch opening closed with needle and coordinating thread.

Read more at Marthastewart.com

Let me know if you have any other quick household fixes!

Comments

Popular Posts