French Onion Salisbury Steak

This weekend I made the most delicious meal that I must share. I think I got the recipe from the Food Network magazine but I can't quite remember. Anyways, it was delicious!! It was a tad bit on the salty side but so is french onion soup. As I looked at the remnants of dinner I remembered I forgot to take a photo of my creation! So, I borrowed this from Food.com. I'm not joking it really does look like this, nothing fancy but tasty. I made this from start to finish in about 45 mins. Sometimes, I like to take on complicated menus but this is a simple, no hassle one. I made a few subtle changes so I am posting how I made the recipe. Enjoy.


French Onion Salsbury Steak
Makes 4 - 45mins

(I made extra bread for dipping in the sauce. I highly suggest it)

For Steaks:
* 1-1/4 lbs ground chuck
* 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (tip: 1 tsp dried parsley = 1 tbsp fresh parsley / 4tsp dried = 1/4cup fresh)
* 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* all-purpose flour, enough to powder the patties

For Sauce:
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cups onions, sliced
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 2 cups beef broth
* 1/4 cup red wine
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

Cheese Toast:
* 4 slices Italian baguette (cut diagonally 1/2in thick)
* 2 Tablespoons butter, room temp
* 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
* a few pinches of paprika
* swiss cheese slices, cut into stripes
* parmesan cheese, shredded

(Preheat oven to 400 for cheese toast)
1. Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape into 3/4 to 1-inch thick oval patties.
2. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and sauté 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from pan.
4. Add onions and sugar to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; sauté 1 minute, or until paste begins to brown. Stir in broth and wine, salt and thyme.
5. Return meat to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. (I made my cheese toast during this time)
6. Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over.
7. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan.

Cheese toast:
1. Cut and place bread on baking sheet
2. Combine butter, garlic and Paprika. Spread on one side of bread slices.
3. Lay swiss cheese slices over bread slice. Sprinkle top with shredded Parmesan.
4. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese bubbly. About 10 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts