The movie: Thief


This is one of my favorite things to say and I'm proud to say "this is kinda a big deal." A friend of friend made a movie that was the winner of the Student Academy Awards this year and can now be nominated for an Academy Award. It has won various other awards as well. I got to watch it recently and I can see why it won. It's beautiful. The writer/director Julian Higgins is an American Film Institute graduate who is well on his way in Hollywood.

"Thief is a haunting story of Mehdi, an Iraqi boy who unwittingly befriends the young Saddam Hussein in 1959. Forty years later, in 2003, the two men come face-to-face a second time, and Mehdi must weigh his desire for revenge against his need to make peace with the past."

It's 25 minutes long and is captivating the whole way through. I recently found out the set was built from the ground up and I would have never known that it was not already a found location. (I hope someone someday will be as surprised by one of my sets.)

Check out the trailer.

THIEF Trailer from Julian Higgins on Vimeo.



To check out Thief's websitehere for screening and other info.

For those of you who know me I may be able to get you a copy to watch. Just ask me.

Comments

Popular Posts