Our weekend of LA food!

The weekend with my mom involved shopping and LA food... Here's the foodie map of our weekend.
Friday:
One must fuel up before taking on the antiques. Fuel station: PitFire Pizza. (5211 Lankershim Boulevard, N. Hollywood)
The artsy vibe of the restaurant and neighborhood reminds me of being back in Chicago. We shared a chicken meatball sandwich (tomato sauce & grana cheese) and the best baked mac & cheese (orechiette ‘Little Ear’ Pasta, creamy 5 cheese sauce & buttery bread crumbs). Oh, and of course our box of water. Which I kept to refill and use at home.



Saturday:
We spent way too long antiquing and had a late lunch at a little stand by my neighborhood called Jack's Classic Burgers.We got the standard cheeseburgers, fries and onion rings. It was pretty good but not my favorite. I would still go back though.


For my birthday meal I chose one of my favorite places, Sushi Dan! We frequent the one in Studio City cause it's a little more laid back than the one in West Hollywood. I was a little hesitant since I know mom doesn't do sushi but she ended up getting the chicken teriyaki. I'm not sure if she liked it cause all three of us ended up taking most the meal home because of our late lunch. I had the most delicious sushi I've eaten at Sushi Dan. It was the chef's special, the Paparazzi Roll. Unfortunately, I can not remember what ingredients the roll has but its REALLY good! I usually have the Baked Scallop on California Roll with Dynamite Sauce... it's something to live for... awesome!


Sunday:
To wind down (after a hard day of Rose Bowl flea marketing) we must re-energize again... off to Phillipe's we go!
1001 North Alameda Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
It's supposed to be the home of the original french dip sandwich. It's not a big menu but it's good and the lines are LOOONNNG!!! We sampled the beef but you have a choice of lamb, pork, ham or turkey. The touch of their specialty french hot mustard is supposed to be a great compliment to the sandwich. It was very tender and good but I'm not nostalgic enough to wait in those lines again.
I was intrigued by the story behind the place so here's a little break down:
In 1908 Philipe Mathieu started the restaurant but it wasn't until 1918 that the French dip sandwich was born. Apparently, while making a sandwich for a police patron he dropped the french roll bun into a roasting pan with the juices. The policeman said he would eat it anyway. He returned the next day with friends and requested the sandwich dipped in roast beef juice again. And so the legend was born.





Finally, to top of the weekend we had to make a stop at Pinkberry. I haven't had Pinkberry for a couple of years and always thought is was ok but didn't understand why people crave it. That is until I went back with my mom. They have added new flavors which is good cause I wasn't too crazy about the tartness of the original fro-yo. They had pomegranate and blood orange which I guess changes from time to time. I got the blood orange and to top off my healthy dessert I skipped all the fresh cut fruit and went for the Fruity Pebbles and crushed Oreos. I know sounds disgusting but absolutely awesome. You can top with a variety of items from granola & fruit to brownies & waffle cookies, combinations galore.

We didn't get to Pink's Hot Dogs. Which I have never had and was looking forward to sharing with her. I also wanted to take her to Larchmont Wine & Cheese & The Counter. Delicious. As well as Famous Cupcakes and some of the good gourmet food trucks. EXHALE. Well, I know were we will be eating on her next LA adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts