Antiquing with mom

I know this post should have been posted last week but my mom came to LA this past weekend to celebrate my birthday and help find flea market finds to decorate my new apartment. Well, I didn't end up buying much, I'm rather particular for those who don't know me. I did find an old porch glider to be my sofa. I need to repaint it and make new cushions along with a lot of other little projects around the home. (Yes, I know, I need to post photos of my apt.. but I am waiting for the before and after... otherwise it's just an empty room)
So, what did we do?... a lot of antiquing!!! Oh, and eating!(but I have a whole other post for that)

First, we got a late start to our weekend. Stupid LA road construction & detours hampered out first attempt to go to The Warehouse. Second, attempt was the store Flea. Which despite it's store hours posted on the door was not open. Finally,
Big Daddy's Antiques
13100 South Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90061
This place was really awesome but a bit more pricey than I had hoped. It's a huge warehouse with salvaged and refinished pieces everywhere. And when I say everywhere I mean EVERY nook and cranny! I really wanted the white drafting table but even though their price was a lot less than most places would ask for it, it was still more than I wanted to shell out for it.




Between our trek to the warehouses to the La Brea neighborhood we stopped in Culver City to tinker through...
Get More House
11276 Washington Place
Culver City, CA 90230
This little shop has a lot of cute things. I really wanted a chandelier from here but maybe that is for another trip... which I will definitely be doing! There is quite a bit of stuff in this small space. Not too much in the way of furniture but lots of kitchen stuff and jewelry. Thanks to my mom's good eye for all things vintage we both walked out with recipe book holders. Well, I think mine is actually a frame easel but it works.



On south La Brea there is a plethora of antique shops. Most of them we didn't even bother to go in either because we had already been to them on her last visit (such as Liz's Antique Hardware, which I highly recommend browsing through)
Or the shops are overpriced cause in LA everyone is trying to make a buck and thinks their stuff is posh vintage. Well, it's not... get over yourself LA.
We browsed a few shops, bought a couple lamps shades and made our way up the street to Nick's Metropolis.
100 South La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
This place has every quirky thing I hadn't even imagined existed. If your looking for a Ronald McDonald statue or booth with seats attached... this is your place. If your looking for a giant light up Hollywood sign sign... this is your place. It your looking for an old x-ray light (which I really wanted by the way)... this is your place. This was my place to find my porch glider.

The prices are reasonable although I did find some things way out of my price range. There's items tucked into every corner of their lot. It's definitely worth the stop.


On Sunday we ventured to the Rose Bowl Flea Market. It is held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on the 2nd Sunday of every month. As we made our way through the aisles and aisles of booths and people we realized this was more than just a days event. I don't think we even got through half of it before I got overwhelmed around lunch time. I mean this place is BIG! I think we got flea marketed out but it was a good day though. We found a couple of items to buy, found even more I wish I could buy. I bought an antique stool that folds out into a step stool. It reminds me of one my great grandma used to have. So, yet another project of repainting I need to get to!


I had a great birthday! I can't wait until my mom comes to visit again!

Comments

Popular Posts